In the Burpees and Bacon Kitchen we have been cooking of a mess of favorite dishes during our meal prepping. Sink your taste buds into this quick delightful dish of flavorful goodness. I have always loved lasagna but it never loved me back, I was so excited to learn of a skillet recipe that I could modify to fit my schedule and my health needs. I love to add veggies in just about everything that I cook but if you don’t share in the love, it is easy to omit.
- 3- 14.5 oz cans of whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 chopped onion
- Salt and Pepper
- 4 oz of mushrooms
- 2 cups of fresh spinach
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1-pound grass fed hamburger
- 12 ounces of ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon of minced thyme
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ c grated Parmesan cheese
- 12 no boil Gluten Free lasagna noodles
- 3 Tablespoons of chopped basil
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pulse entire contents of tomato cans into a food processor until coarsely ground.
- Heat a 12 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat, add oil until shimmering and then add onion and ½ teaspoon of salt and pepper.
- Cook until softened and slightly browned.
- Stir in garlic, pepper flakes, and mushrooms and cook about 30 seconds to 1 minute
- Add in hamburger and cook until no longer pink. Stir in tomato mixture, bringing to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened.
- Transfer to a bowl add in spinach leaves.
- In a second bowl, combine ricotta, egg yolk, thyme, ½ tsp salt, and ½ tsp pepper. Combine mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses into a third bowl.
- Spread ¾ c sauce over bottom of empty skillet, put in noodles to over, spoon cheese mixture over noodles and repeat. Finish with mozzarella mixture.
- Transfer to oven and bake until golden brown and bubbly around 30-40 minutes.
- Cool and serve, optional garnish with basil…
IN my opinion the lasagna tastes even better the second and third day because it gives all the flavors time to combine well. So this would make a perfect make ahead meal.
One of my absolute favorite foods is pancakes. Oh my I could eat them every single day. I like to play around with pancake recipes creating and re-creating different variations that won’t bother my digestive system or cause a flare up in my joints. Here is a different kind of take on the traditional pancake. The best part is its not messy at all, there is really no clean up…
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup plain almond milk
- 1/2 cup Cup 4 Cup (gluten free flour) * you can use regular flour if you must 🙂
- 2 Tbsp sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp real vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp butter for pan
- *Optional: any type of berries or fresh fruit that you desire. I added a little powdered sugar on top too.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Using a blender add in eggs, flour, baking soda, sugar, vanilla,milk, and salt until blended smooth.
- Place 2 tablespoons on unsalted butter into oven proof skillet and place into heated oven until melted.
- Carefully remove skillet from oven, pour in batter and place on middle rack for about 15-20 minutes (depending on your oven). Pancake is done with it is golden brown and knife comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes and top with fresh fruit and optional powdered sugar.
- Serve and enjoy.